**Fast-food Shock: Cocaine Found in Customer’s Hot Dog**
In a bizarre event in New Mexico, a Sonic fast-food restaurant employee found himself behind bars after a customer discovered a bag of cocaine in their hot dog order. The incident has left people questioning the safety and quality of their fast-food experiences.
Recently, at around 3 in the afternoon, a woman ordered a chili cheese hot dog, or “coney,” from the Sonic drive-thru in San Pedro. Upon biting into it, she realized she had also bitten into a plastic bag containing a white powder. She contacted the police after realizing the hot dog was tainted. After testing the suspicious substance, it was confirmed as cocaine by the Espanola Police Department.
The police promptly arrested 54-year-old Sonic employee, Jeffrey David Salazar, as the prime suspect in the case. According to Fox News, the arrest warrant affidavit revealed that Salazar was seen on surveillance video engaging in what appeared to be a hand-to-hand drug transaction with a female staff member. Moments later, he prepared a food order and can be seen searching his work area as if he had misplaced something.
Salazar admitted during questioning that he had purchased cocaine from someone in the Sonic parking lot, as per the arrest warrant. He now faces a felony charge of possession of a controlled substance.
The Espanola Police Department expressed its gratitude to the Sonic restaurant management team for their “immediate response.” The team assisted law enforcement in their investigation by providing the incriminating surveillance footage.
Merit Bennet of the Bennett Law Group is representing the customer, who plans to submit a claim once the reports are confirmed. Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Sonic has made negative headlines lately. In another incident, a manager at a Tulsa, Oklahoma location suffered severe injuries after being violently attacked by customers over a wrongly prepared food order.
**Customer Safety at Risk: New Mexico Cocaine Incident Prompts Fast-food Concerns**
The shocking revelation of cocaine in a hot dog order raises doubts about the safety of fast-food items, the cleanliness of preparation areas, and the background checks done on employees. What precautions should be in place to prevent such disturbing cases from happening in the future?