September 11, 2001, was a grave day in American history. No American alive that day and old enough to understand will ever forget it. The blame for the terrorist act has been placed on Osama bin Laden, who was from Saudi Arabia. Recently, families of some of the people who were killed that terrible day protested a golf tournament Donald Trump hosted.
Last week Donald Trump hosted the Saudi-backed LIV Golf tournament at his course in Bedminster, N.J. Outside, families protested.
Defending the golf tournament, Trump told ESPN, “I’ve known these people for a long time in Saudi Arabia, and they’ve been friends of mine for a long time. They’ve invested in many American companies, they own big percentages of many American companies, and frankly what they’re doing for golf is so great, what they’re doing for the players is so great. The salaries are going to go way up.”
Additionally, Trump said, “well, nobody’s gotten to the bottom of 9/11 unfortunately, and they should have.”
The protestors point to a declassified document they believe indicates that the Saudis were involved in the terrorist attack that killed their loved ones and a total of 2,996 people. The document details the hijackers’ contacts with Saudis in the U.S. but does not provide evidence that senior Saudi government officials were complicit in the attacks.
“The 9/11 Commission report, released in 2004, found no evidence of Saudi leaders’ complicity in the attack but said Saudi nationals played key roles in funding Al Qaeda, a terrorist organization that claimed responsibility,” reports PEOPLE.
Donald Trump decided to go forward with the tournament despite the feelings of the 9-11 victim’s families. He seems to believe that the Saudi government at least was not involved. Should he have canceled the tournament?