Over the weekend, President Trump’s legal team reacted to the DOJ’s releasement of the heavily redacted affidavit.
According to FOX News, Trump’s lawyers said what was not redacted raises “more questions than answers.”
Trump’s lawyers requested that a neutral third party oversee the Department of Justice’s handling of evidence in a court filing Friday. In its motion for a “special master,” the attorneys cited the unsealing of the redacted affidavit as a reason for the judge to grant their request.
“The Redacted Affidavit underscores why this Motion should be granted, as it provides almost no information that would allow Movant to understand why the raid took place, or what was taken from his home,” Trump’s legal team wrote.
As we previously reported, more than 50%, 20 pages of the 38-page document, was either significantly or fully redacted.
In the affidavit, the FBI said it had “probable cause to believe” that additional records containing classified information would be found at Mar-a-Lago home beyond what he had previously turned over to the National Archives and Records Administration.
“The government is conducting a criminal investigation concerning the improper removal and storage of classified information in unauthorized spaces, as well as the unlawful concealment or removal of government records,” the affidavit states.
In response, Trump responded on TRUTH Social, writing, “Affidavit heavily redacted!!! Nothing mentioned on “Nuclear,” a total public relations subterfuge by the FBI & DOJ, or our close working relationship regarding document turnover – WE GAVE THEM MUCH. Judge Bruce Reinhart should NEVER have allowed the Break-In of my home. He recused himself two months ago from one of my cases based on his animosity and hatred of your favorite President, me. What changed? Why hasn’t he recused himself on this case? Obama must be very proud of him right now!”